How’s everyone’s weekend? Ours has been busy, busy, busy, rainy, rainy, rainy!
Yesterday, Thing 2 went to CrossFit with me!
She made it through 2 1/2 rounds before the WOD wiped her out! I’m so proud of her! I knocked out the 5 rounds in 31:40. And, I’ll tell you what, my booty is feeling those lunges!
Then, my sailor and I finished clearing and cleaning out Thing 1’s room. Oof, THAT was quite a job.
This morning, this happened.
Yep, smiley-face pancakes! Om nom nom!
Oh, and this also happened.
Yep. The skies opened up while I was walking the dogs. Good times. Wet dogs. Fun.
Oh yeah, this happened too.
Chili-topped Sweet Potato Fries!
I found this recipe on Paleomg. I changed it up a little to suit our tastes. So delicious!
CAUTION: THIS CHILI IS HOT!
Consider yourself warned. So, if you don’t like hot, tone down the heat. Or be a fire-breathing dragon. Your choice.
2-3 sweet potatoes (this will do fine for 3 people + 1 who doesn’t like sweet potatoes)
1 pound grass fed beef
1/2 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 can (14.5 ounces) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
10 ounces tomato paste
2 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Scrub sweet potatoes and slice into matchsticks. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake 25 minutes.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large dutch oven. Add onion and garlic and cook about 4 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
4. Add beef and seasonings. Cook beef for 4-5 minutes, stirring to combine spices, until beef is cooked almost all the way through.
5. Add tomatoes and tomato paste; stir to combine.
6. Add broth and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Cook on low until sweet potatoes are finished. Check seasonings and adjust as necessary (although, honestly, if it’s too spicy, it’s a little too late for you to change that at this point).
8. Place desired amount of sweet potatoes on a plate or in a bowl and top with chili. Top with avocado slices and NOM!