How is everyone on this bright and sunny Monday?
Did you have a good weekend? I did!
I got a lot of stuff done on Saturday (grocery shopping, some laundry, house cleaning, baked ugly cookies, had a friend over for dinner – grilled steak tacos!, drank some good wine) and I was really looking forward to a day of nothing on Sunday.
My Sunday plans included sitting on the couch, finishing the laundry, sitting on the couch some more, watching the re-airing of the Crossfit Games finals on ESPN2 and more sitting on the couch.
I definitely got the laundry done and I definitely sat on the couch (and it was fabulous!), it was the watching the re-airing of the Crossfit games that didn’t go as planned. Not my fault.
ESPN2 ran long (30 MINUTES!) with their Baseball Tonight coverage (seriously, Baseball Tonight at 1pm in the afternoon?) and to catch up, they only aired the men’s finals and 30 minutes later, tennis was on. I was SO ANGRY! I wanted to watch the women’s finals, too!! Yes, I know I can watch it on my computer but I wanted to watch it on the big screen and I had been waiting ALL WEEKEND for it to come on. I was very displeased.
Once I got over my grumpiness (okay, honestly, I’m still a little peeved. Don’t ask me to say anything nice about ESPN because I don’t think I can come up with friendly words), I figured out what I was going to make with those cinnamon chips I found at the store on Saturday!
Banana Blueberry Cinnamon Bread!
I ended up making 2 loaves because our neighbor decided, out of the blue, to mow our yard after he finished mowing his. I had to thank him somehow since we knew he wouldn’t let us pay him! So, I made him family a loaf of bread! I sure hope they liked it. I took it over pretty much fresh out of the oven – I was doing a little hot potato juggling as I crossed the lawn. Ha!
This bread is AMAZE-BALLS! Moist, cinnamon-y and packed with fresh blueberry goodness. It was all I could do to not eat the whole loaf. Om nom nom!
Banana Blueberry Cinnamon Bread
makes 1 loaf
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup old-fashioned oats (you could use quick-cooking oats, too)
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/4 cups mashed bananas (about 2 large)
1/3 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
1/3 cup Splenda sugar blend or 2/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup cinnamon chips
1 cup frozen blueberries (frozen are easier to use because they don’t stain the batter and don’t fall apart as easily)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and line with parchment paper or dust with flour.
3. Measure flour through cinnamon in large bowl. Set aside.
4. Mix the mashed bananas, yogurt, sugar, egg, egg white, and vanilla together with a whisk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in frozen blueberries and cinnamon chips.
5. Scrape the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. *You may hit a blueberry or a cinnamon chip – what you don’t want is uncooked batter.
6. Remove from oven to cooking rack. Allow to cool 5 minutes in pan and then, turn out onto a wire rack. Cool completely before slicing – if you can. 🙂
7. Om nom nom!
Once I gorged myself on half a loaf finished just one piece of delicious bread, I decided I need to prep for my post-Crossfit breakfasts for this week. I am totally addicted to overnight, refrigerator oatmeal. Seriously, I can’t get enough.
Have you tried it yet? Why not?!
1. How do you like to enjoy a lazy weekend? Do you have lazy weekends?
2. Do you live in a neighborhood where people do random things for you like mowing your yard without asking?
3. Do you prep your breakfast/lunch the night before?