It has been a ridiculous week. Seriously.
Up until yesterday, that is.
Yesterday. Was. Awesome.
My sailor got promoted!! Whoop!!
Oh, and I officially registered for the New River Trail 50k.
It was a crazy exciting day. 🙂
So, my friend Sarah over at Next Page, New Chapter posted yesterday about a month of mindfulness and it inspired me.
I thought it was an excellent way to kick off a month and essentially my training cycle for the 50k. I’ve been working out and having fun (mostly) but, for some reason, I haven’t been able to get really serious.
Well, it’s time for that to change.
I’m meeting with a new CrossFit box owner next week – yeah, that awkward moment when your CrossFit box closes and they let everyone know via FaceBook. Nice, right? – and I’ve got big plans.
It’s CrossFit for the endurance athlete and it’s perfect! I don’t know why I didn’t think of it before! Well, probably because I thought I could balance it all. I tend to do that. I’ll work really hard trying to juggle and balance and then, when I think I’ve got it, I’ll toss a few more balls into the mix and juggle until they all fall down around me. And then, I’ll ask for help.
I’m a smart one, aren’t I?
Anyway, I’m really really stoked about starting fresh and doing the right thing for me. Which is what I SHOULD be doing anyway, especially when it comes to my fitness.
So, mindfulness…..I’ve come up with 5 things I want to be mindful of in May (okay, maybe it’s really only 4 things and 1 resolution but I’m going with it) to help get and keep me on track.
It’s kind of my way of showing myself that I”m serious. 🙂
1. Take the stairs at work instead of the elevator. I mean, really, I’m not a huge fan of elevators anyway (claustrophobic) and this building is really old and that elevator has been known to have issues so it just makes sense. I should have been taking the stairs from day 1. Plus, I work on the 5th floor so I’ll definitely be doing myself a favor. 🙂
2. Plank every day. It’s kind of a resolution but it ties in with #5 and will help keep me focused as well as helping to strengthen my core which I’m going to be relying on heavily to keep me upright during the 50k.
3. Limit alcohol to one day a week (probably Saturday) depending on my training schedule no matter how much I may want a glass of wine on a Tuesday. Well, you know how much I love wine. Sometimes I love it a little too much and that isn’t always good for training. I’m not going on the wagon or anything, I just want to be more mindful about how often I have a glass or two of wine. Like, after the marathon. ;D
4. Log each and every workout in my journal. I really need to make sure I’m keeping track of what I’m doing so I can see how I’m improving.
5. Rest and recover appropriately from the Flying Pig Marathon before I officially start training for the 50k. This should, conceivably, take the full month of May. I need to start back into training slowly so I don’t get tired or sick from being over-trained or over-stressed. That’s one of the things I plan on discussing when I meet the Coach at my new box next week. I’m going to be smart about this.
Flying Pig Marathon is SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!
Talk to me: What are you going to be mindful of this month?